TCDA's Mission & Purpose
The mission of TCDA is to support and foster the success of Texas choral directors and music teachers and to instill a love of music in every Texas school, church, and community singer.
The purpose of TCDA:
- Secure and maintain statewide cooperation within the choral directing profession;
- Provide its members the finest in continuing educational activities;
- Encourage continued growth through intellectual and professional development;
- Provide clinics in conducting technique and vocal health;
- Preview newly released music through the Summer Convention and New Music Reading Clinic;
- Communicate timely and pertinent information to members through Texas Sings!, the official publication of TCDA, and through Choral Notes, a bi-weekly electronic newsletter;
- Provide a forum for choral directors to network through a member directory;
- Provide scholarships annually for students and for professionals in vocal music.
TCDA is approved by the State Board for Education Certification as a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider.
History of TCDA
TCDA celebrated 64 Years in San Antonio at our 2019 Convention on July 25-27!
TCDA was founded in 1955. The first two TCDA Conventions were held in Dallas, and all Conventions since have been in San Antonio. There were no elected officers until 1957; the first two Boards served for only one year. Since 1957, Boards have served two-year terms. TCDA thanks former Executive Director Marvin J Pollard for his help in gathering information from TCDA's early years.
History of TCDA Logos